Friday, June 10, 2011

The Green Cabinet

Well, it took a little longer than I expected....but it's done, for now. I was the grateful recipient of this cabinet on wheels a few years ago from my parent's neighbor, Ellen. It was used as a TV stand in our bedroom in our last house and since we've moved to Kansas it has been floating around the house without a true purpose. Our poor, drab guest bedroom is just crying for a mini makeover so the floating cabinet on wheels will now have a permanent home. It will now house our printer, modem & router in the guest bedroom...which reminds me, I didn't cut a hole in the back of it. Easy enough fix though, nothing the Dremel can't handle. At some point I want to add a shelf inside of it, that will happen when I have a bit of scrap wood laying around from some other project.
Here she is before her makeover. The ivy is just begging to be released into wild.

Top View


Taken all apart and given a light sanding.
Once I got the piece prepped, I primed with a spray primer(actually, two different types...I much prefer the Kilz Spray Primer) and then painted with one of the Valspar paint samples from Lowe's for $2.94. Once the paint was completely dry, I applied the vinyl that I cut with my Klic-N-Kut machine.
Top View

Side Angle View


 At this point, I was ready to sing for joy at the top of my lungs! This is the first time I have attempted redoing furniture let alone applying vinyl to multiple pieces like a puzzle. I was stoked! After trolling a bunch of blogs, I came across the All Things Thrifty blog and fell in love with glazing techniques. I found the Ralph Lauren Faux Technique glaze at the ma & pa paint store and had them tint it black. This was the most expensive thing I bought for this project at just under $10 but it is going to last me a looooooong time. I doesn't even look like I used any out of the can. After two coats of the glaze, I topped it off with Krylon Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze. I am very happy with the way this turned out, very happy!

Front View, sorry it's a weird angle...the bed was in my way.

Side View Angle

The top is B.EAU.TI.FUL!

Closeup of the vinyl...I really like how the black tinted glaze makes the white vinyl pop!
So, there's my new favorite piece of furniture in the house and I don't think these pictures truly show her beauty....time to go shopping for fabric to recover the lamp and for glass etching cream.....

No comments:

Post a Comment